Sunday, March 26, 2017

Your Kids Might Be Sampling Genesis Without Even Realizing It

The other day, I was listening to my son's music in the car and heard Logic's City Of Stars. I thought to myself, "Hey that's Steve Hackett in the opening." Sure enough, the intro was from Days Long Ago. I felt like such a cool dad hearing a sample of Steve's music. This is not the first time I have heard a Genesis sample in a song. Nor will it be my last.

Thanks to my son, I have heard samples of Genesis in Rap/Hip Hop songs. In fact, it is often my son who recognizes the sampling when I listen to Genesis songs. There is a fascination with Genesis. While Phil Collins has the largest amount of samples with his solo work, what might surprise fans is that Genesis is sampled extensively from their catalog of older songs from 1970-1977. In fact, Genesis is sampled more than Peter Gabriel and the other band members.

Sampling honors the past. If you would like to hear and research sampled songs from Genesis, copy and past the following link in your browser: http://www.whosampled.com/search/?q=Genesis

We will also archive the link on the right.

1 comment:

  1. Cool version. No Reply at all has always been one of my favorite Genesis songs.

    ReplyDelete