Friday, April 14, 2017

Darth Vader......Agitator....... Asking Questions Wanting To Know Why

If you live in the United States, have you ever noticed that being a fan of Genesis can result in that awkward moment that you are singing the song incorrectly due to the strong English accents of Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel are difficult to understand?  For us in the states, we sometimes sing the songs incorrectly for years without realizing the lyrics are not what we thought they were. One of the biggest mistakes that I made for years was a line from the song Dodo on the ABACAB album. For years I played the song in my car loudly singing.... "Darth Vader......Agitator" never realizing that Phil actually said, "Dog Baiter.....Agitator" In fact, whether it was Three Sides Live or Abacab, I made the same mistake. I can only imagine what people must have thought when I was at the concert singing the wrong lyrics. I have read that other fans thought this was the lyric, and my mistake was not unique to me. The question is, are there other Genesis lyrics we sang incorrectly? Please feel free to comment and share your Genesis mistakes.

2 comments:

  1. I remember buying the Japanese import of PG's first album,came with a "Lyric" sheet,the Japanese must have just guessed the lyrics.Solsbury Hill it's supposed to be,"I'll tell them what the smile on my face meant",they had it as (I kid you not),"I'll tell them not to spy on my basement",over 30 years and it still makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man - I have been singing that wrong for years - including during the mama tour - dang it

    ReplyDelete