Sunday, May 14, 2017

Shhhh.....I Love Phil Collins....And He Is Going to Surprise You!

Genesis fans are in two camps with Phil Collins. Basically, Genesis fans love him or hate him for his role in Genesis. For the purpose of this article, I am giving full disclosure. I love Phil. I think he has always been the reason why we talk about Genesis in such large numbers today. I believe if the ban
d ended in 1975, we would have the same fan base as most 70s prig bands which is minimal. Genesis would have faded to much less significance and generations would not have discovered the band if was not for Phil, Mike, Steve, and Tony continuing to make more music.

I am not going to debate the merits of Gabriel, Hackett and Collins era music. Fan groups have beaten it to death. Instead, I am going to talk about his upcoming tour. I think we are going to be surprised what Phil has left in the tank. Somehow, through his motivation of his son's ambition to learn more about his father, Phil is overcoming many health issues to play again.  And it is this motivation that will lead to a Genesis reunion down the road. His son is a drummer, and wants to learn about his father's music. If you read Phil's book, he has discussed how much he loves the history of Genesis. Once this tour is finished, we may see the band play tour one more time, and I for one will pay a hefty price to see this happen.

Another thing I have noticed is Phil has been missing since last fall. For those who doubt or dismiss Phil, I think you will see a healthier and more energetic Phil Collins than his past few appearances. The return to music will prove to be an extension of Phil's personal health and wellness. I even think we will more limited percussionist duties than In The Air Tonight. This is why I admire Phil Collins. Never dismissive or negative, he stays positive in the most trying times. This guy's prediction is Phil will overcome his health problems and deliver an emotional return to music. This is why I love Phil Collins. He is genuinely a great father, who will overcome all odds to give his son and his fans one more live appearance so we can talk about it for years to come. Go Phil!

*Authors Note: For fans reading in the United States, did anyone catch the error on Daryl' Stuermer's website? About a month ago, it was posted briefly that Phil was coming to Chicago. It was posted on my fan site than it disappeared within 20 minutes. I think the error was significant and Phil may play multiple nights in Chicago. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. This is not news, no information just conjecture based on an opinion or hunch similar to how star signs are prophesied to have an effect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely totally agree with you. Being that all of Leland and Daryls social media posts have kept phil out completely in this kind of cloak of secrecy, I think(hope)this is exactly for the reasons you've stated here. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised. I'm seeing him in Hyde Park so this is going to be an exciting summer no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Phil Collins. I was fortunate in that I was introduced to his music and the music of Genesis at pretty much the same time. In 1981 music videos from Face Value, Abacab and Duke were in heavy rotation on MTV. I fell in love with this fantastic music and have been hooked ever since.

    ReplyDelete