Tuesday, September 21, 2021

I Know What I like - Genesis Opening Night In Birmingham


Did you have any apprehension about the upcoming tour? Did the months of shade thrown at Phil get cause concern? How about the PBS documentary? Not me. I dismissed all of it. I knew in my heart that Phil, Mike, Daryl, Nic, and Tony were going to deliver an amazing tour. This tour has a purpose. It's the proper goodbye fans of all eras deserve. 

As a fan in the states, like many I watched the fan groups and searched on YouTube all night to get a glimpse of the tour that is coming to the U.S. As the videos popped up, I was choked up watching this final concert come together. 

And the comments from fans were pretty amazing. Here is a sample:

This was a show for the fans, without a doubt. If you're thinking of selling your tickets due to doubts over Phils ability, think again. This is THE farewell tour. Miss it and you'll always regret it.

Lamb was amazing!


Firstly thanks to Patrick and Daniel on backing vocals, Daryl on guitar & Nic on drums (why did I ever doubt you). Most of all thank you to Tony, Mike and Phil for a fantastic, emotional concert. Phenomenal evening which will live on in my memory for a long long time. To anyone who didn't get tickets because they thought Phil was passed it... you missed out big time!


This morning, I read Rolling Stone's review. They were just as amazed by the band as the fans were last night. They really packed the show with raw emotion. There will always be naysayers. Always will be with Genesis. Phil will never catch a break from the fanbase loyal to Pete and Steve. 

Instead of cruelly making light of Phil's health, one should acknowledge how the music is inspiring him to continue on. Yes, he is frail. He is also 70 with health problems. However,  I saw the charm of Phil from years ago. He still connects with his audience. The tambourine dance for me was courageous. He made an attempt during I Know What I Like that spoke to me about getting old. When you are old, you still try. You can't give up hope. Seeing Phil vulnerable like that made me cry a bit. Tears of joy and amazement that he did not let all of the issues facing him stop him from being vulnerable. Powerful.


Mike, Tony, and Daryl delivered as expected. They seemed almost protective of Phil from what I saw. They still play the complex parts of Genesis is with newfound energy. From what I saw, Nic plays a big role in their resurgence. He is just like his father. Fans can tell that he
studied the music and how it was played in the past. There were tender moments when Phil looked back and you can't help but think he was a proud father watching his son take over on the kit. 

The tour will only get better by the time it hits the states. Phil's voice will get stronger. They may slightly change the setlist a bit. In the end, I know in my heart the reunion was a great decision. Most importantly, it also allows us to properly say goodbye to 50 years of memories.  






1 comment:

  1. I spent time last night and this morning watching many of the videos from the first show.

    ReplyDelete